Ring-necked parakeets in Highbury Park

News from Maureen and Bill Perrie, who have seen and filmed some rather
exotic birds.

Over the last few weeks we have first heard and then seen
ring-necked parakeets in the park – usually in the trees in the swampy ground at the ‘cascades’ end of the duck-pond, and in the neighbouring parkland.

Today Bill managed to video a pair of them in the trees.

He’s posted it on YouTube – here’s the link:

There’s quite a lot of information about these birds on the internet.

Most of them are in the south-east of England.

There seems to be quite bit of controversy about whether they spread by extending their existing territory, or whether new flocks are created from escaped caged birds. Also debate about how much of a nuisance they are – or likely to become.

Hope this is of interest to fellow park-lovers.

Best wishes,
Maureen and Bill

Watch the video – and tell yourself it wasn’t a typo… not ring-neck pheasants (though there may well be some of those too), but ring-neck parakeets!

11 comments for “Ring-necked parakeets in Highbury Park

1. admin
    23/04/2017 at 12:48

Hi Nick, we have had ring-necked Parakeets in the park for about 7 years now, and they have bred locally. However, the number in Highbury never seems to go above about 6 or 7 birds so they do not seem to pose a threat to any other wildlife, and they do provide colour and interest to a walk around the park

Anne

2. Nick
    18/04/2017 at 21:05

One flew past me yesterday when I was walking my dog. I did a double take, looked up and there were 4 more sitting in a tree. I’ve heard of them in SW London but not seen any in Brum before. Makes a nice addition if they aren’t a threat to indigenous birds

3. admin
    04/11/2016 at 08:42

We have had parakeets in the park for about 7 years or so, but interestingly their numbers have not grown in this time. A lot of people locally have come to love them, and as long as their numbers do not increase dramatically we are not too worried at the present time

Anne
    On behalf of HPF

4. Frank Holmes
    31/10/2016 at 13:21

Our native birds are already enduring terrible reductions in their numbers and this problem will only be added to by the presence of parakeets.
    I hope the local authority can find a way of reducing the presence of these birds in our area.

5. Stuart Wright
    08/10/2014 at 15:39

hello,

It seems this article is old, BUT as of 8/10/2014 i saw the parrots today !!!! i was somewhat surprised, as i had no idea they lived there, i go to highbury park weekly & had never seen them before, 3 flew above me & circled twice, making cheeping noises. Good to see they`re surviving !! it seems they appear in the autumn,judging by others posts

6. Geriatric mel
    11/12/2010 at 11:24

Sally
    The parakeets roost in huge numbers Down river from picturesque Staines and at Richmond — they peck their way into extraction vents on the sides of flats looking for possible nesting sites.

Just had 5 together on our bird feeders here at West Maidenhead—my first sighting in our garden, though I have seen isolated pairs flying high overhead on a couple of occasions.

I understand that they have been nesting near the local high school only 1/2 mile away.

I wonder if you have them in the Botanical gardens yet ?

Geriatric mel

7. Brewster
    01/12/2010 at 23:56

Sally Bradbrooks comments re parakeets are very interesting. The largest flock I know about in London was supposed to live near Heathrow airport for some reason!!?

Get in touch Sally to discuss

8. Tom Harrison
    30/10/2010 at 17:26

There are now 5 of them, seen this morning at 09.30 am. Very colourful; but are they a problem for our Green and Greater Spotted woodpeckers? It is very clear that they are breeding, although a small group (2) have been around over the past 5 years here and on the river Cole. Anyone who has seen them in Windsor Park will know that there they are in their thousands.

9. 28/12/2009 at 16:46

We have them here too…in Turkey, in Istanbul, and on the Aegean coast…here people say a flock escaped from a ship…they aren’t native to Turkey.

10. Tigger's mate Margaret
    11/11/2009 at 20:55

I spotted them when I was out in the park this afternoon. I’d seen green parakeets in parks in London, but was a bit surprised and wondered whether I really seeing them or ….

11. 29/10/2009 at 18:09

Was told about these by a fellow dog walker this afternoon. Will take the camera tomorrow (before the colder weather sets in) and take a look